NORTH SAN JUAN REAL ESTATE / NORTH SAN JUAN PROPERTY
North San Juan property is rural, with some homes on smaller (3 acre) parcels near center of town and larger acreage as you move further out. Horse property, ranches and organic farms dot the landscape.
The North San Juan area is North of Nevada City and if often referred to as â€œthe Ridge,â€ a nod to its location in an area known as the San Juan Ridge.
NORTH SAN JUAN BUSINESS COMMUNITY
Known as a community of artists and writers, as well as farmers and livestock owners, North San Juan is unique area where people celebrate self-sufficiency and a sense of community.
Mother Truckers grocery store is a community center, and breakfast at Toki’s is famous county-wide. North San Juan is also home to Ananda Village. North San Juan is also home to Mountain Bounty Farm, a Community Supported Agriculture (CSI) farm, which is supported by residents from the Grass Valley / Nevada City areas.
NORTH SAN JUAN SCHOOLS
North San Juan schools range from a Head Start program through Grade 8. High School students attend classes in Nevada City.
NORTH SAN JUAN RECREATION
The North Columbia Schoolhouse Cultural Center is the site of events year-round. Art shows, Sufi dancers, poetry readings, concerts, storytelling festivals, and community gatherings make the Center a focal point of the community.
Miles of hiking and riding trails and proximity to the Yuba River make North San Juan a desirable location for people who love the outdoors.
NORTH SAN JUAN HISTORY
The town was first named San Juan and was given that name by a German miner who had served with General Scott’s army in Mexico. As there was already a town by that name in San Benito County, the word “North” was added.
This is a delightful old town that includes eight brick buildings said to date to the mid-1850s. The white frame United Methodist Church dates back to 1856 and has been one of the oldest continuously operated churches in California.
The Columbia Hill Schoolhouse is perhaps the only remaining Gold Rush structure left in the settlement. Built for $3,000 in 1875, the shiplap-sided structure stands inside of a sharp turn of the highway, its simple, classic design quite striking against the evergreen backdrop of tall pines. The structure served as a schoolhouse almost continuously until 1979, when it was closed for not meeting earthquake-protection standards. The local community restored the building in the early 1980’s and is now known as the North Columbia Schoolhouse Cultural Center. The center sponsors and produces quality events throughout the year, such as poetry readings, storytelling, art shows, folk festivals, and much more.